The Palace Theater will produce “9 to 5, The Musical” for its 15th Annual Fall Musical in October, running Oct. 7th through the 23rd.
Since the film’s release in 1980, the topics of equal pay for women and non-sexist treatment in the work place remain current.
Directing the show this year is experienced Hilo thespian and director Jeri Gertz. Jeri has also worked as a women’s advocate for many years in our community. She currently conducts Harmony On Tap, a women’s vocal group and has 30 years of experience in the local performing arts in community. Michael Misita and Devon Lerma complete the creative team. “Michael is a Broadway alum and has dazzled Palace audiences with his choreographic magic for the last two musicals. Devon wields an expert baton for the Puna Men’s Chorus and teaches private lessons in piano and voice” said Getz, offering praise for her co-directors.
This high energy musical, based on the hit movie of the same name, was created by Dolly Parton and the film’s original screenwriter, Patricia Resnick. “9 to 5, The Musical” features three strong female leads and their male boss. Co-workers Violet, Judy, and Doralee bond through their mutual frustration with workplace conditions and their obnoxious boss Franklin Hart, Jr. The trio fantasizes about ways to make things better, including getting rid of Hart. The music is fun and fast paced.
Auditions are scheduled at the Palace Theater on:
- Wednesday & Thursday, July 13 & 14 at 6PM
- Saturday, July 16 at 10AM
Call backs, if necessary, will follow in the final week of July.
The cast consists of 8 women, 7 men, plus ensemble members.
Come prepared to have fun and show off your talent. No spectators will be admitted. Please do not bring children to the auditions.
Character descriptions and perusal script are available at the Palace Theater office, or by clicking here “9 to 5, The Musical”. Office hours are weekdays, 10am-3pm.
Those auditioning will be asked to:
- Perform 32 bars (about a minute) of a prepared Broadway or pop/country song. **Bring sheet music – accompanist provided OR Karaoke cd, phone or ipod – speaker provided.
- Learn and perform a short dance routing. Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes, no slippers or sandals.
- Perform one minute of something funny – either from a play, movie, or tell a joke.
- Bring your calendar to check for rehearsal/ performance conflicts.
- Bring a photo of yourself – any close up snapshot is fine.
The Palace Theater and this year’s Directors invite adults from 18 years and up to audition for “9 to 5, The Musical.” See you July 13, 14 and 16!